For the book review section in NECSUS, we are currently looking for contributions for the Spring and Autumn 2023 issues – focusing on either one publication or bringing two or more publications into a dialogue with each other.
The book review section in NECSUS publishes critical writing on recent publications that fall within the broad scope of media studies. Reviewers are invited to write essays of 2,000-3,000 words that focus on one or more recent publications. Omnibus reviews should address how the chosen titles relate to each other. We also welcome reviews of non-English language publications. We do not allow reviews in which the author is involved in the book, either as an editor, contributor, or translator.
It is important that authors take a critical stance on their chosen titles, providing a thoughtful account of the texts and their position alongside other media studies scholarship rather than a general summary. Authors should not be connected to the writers of the books they are reviewing in either personal or professional terms. Reviews may be motivated by current trends in film and media studies but can also tackle issues that remain overlooked within the disciplines. The purpose of the book review section is to inform NECSUS readers about new scholarship in media studies and to support critical engagement with published work.
Follow general style guidelines as explicated here.
Additional book review guidelines:
- Focus on either one or two or more recent publications that are related thematically (should be published within the last three years)
- Position the publication(s) within existing scholarship
- Take a critical stance towards the work (e.g., choose one or more issues/themes to structure the review)
- On the first mention of each book, please include the full title in italics and the bibliographic information in parentheses
- Only for book reviews, use in-text references in the following manner: (p. 55) or (pp. 55-65)
- Include your name and affiliation at the end of the review (no short bios needed)
If you are interested in writing a book review please send inquiries to the section editor Victoria Pastor-González using our contact form.